Our RASAM SOUP RECIPE will be your saving grace right now. An authentic South Indian recipe, Rasam soup is a flavourful dish ideally served before main course as an appetizer. It's loaded with immune boosting spices such as with ginger, chilli, garlic, turmeric plus curry leaves to nourish your body and help aid with digestion.
Total Prep and Cook Time: 35 mins
Vegan | Gluten Free | Natural | Nut Free | Dairy Free
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 handful chopped coriander leaves and roots
¼ cup of red lentils
10 curry leaves
Juice of 2 limes, lemons or 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
Preferred oil of choice
Salt as required
Optional - ½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing) powder (Asafoetida is a gum from a variety of giant fennel, which naturally has a strong smell. It's a very useful spice for those who can't or won't eat onion or garlic, as it adds a similar depth and savouriness to food.)
- Grind black pepper and cumin seeds roughly, with garlic.
- Heat up oil on medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add black pepper, garlic, cumin and saute for a few minutes. Add curry leaves and chilli and hing. Add tomatoes, coriander roots, washed red lentils and 4 cups of water.
- Bring rasam to boil and cook for further 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Squeeze with lime and eat wholesomely.